Complaints Procedure

Date: 22.04.20

Complaints regarding casework.

Please note this complaints procedure is only for constituents regarding personal casework.

Please Note

A local MP will generally do as much as they can to help a constituent, but (s)he is not obliged to take up every matter that is brought to their attention or deal with abusive constituents, historical or current.

Any data submitted as part of complaint is considered as consent for processing. If we need to share your data with a 3rd party (e.g Leeds City Council, Housing association etc) to investigate the complaint, we will seek your further consent for this.

If your complaint is considered valid, it will be investigated, evidence gathered and those involved may be asked to provide evidence.

You’ll get a written response within 30 days. This response will cover the findings of the investigation, any mitigating circumstances and appropriate further action. If your complaint is upheld it will detail any further action being taken.

If your complaint is not upheld you will be informed the reasons why.

Please submit your complaint in writing to the Chief of Staff If your complaint pertains to the Chief of staff or you believe their to be a good reason why they could not fairly process your complaint you may email In this instance complaints may take longer to process.

If you need assistance in writing your complaint, ask a friend or relative to help, or seek independent support from Advonet Leeds.


Complaints regarding Other Matters

There are two organisations which deal with complaints about Members of Parliament:

Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards

Compliance Officer for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority

You may wish to contact the House of Commons Enquiry Service for further advice on how to make a complaint.

The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards will investigate allegations that an MP has broken the Code of Conduct and the rules associated with it. These include for example rules about: „

The registration and declaration of financial interests;

The use of parliamentary facilities, advocacy or lobbying where the MP has a financial interest.

The Commissioner will not investigate complaints about:

policy matters;

an MP’s views or opinions;

an MP’s handling of or decision about constituency cases and correspondence at any stage; (A local MP will generally do as much as they can to help a constituent, but (s)he is not obliged to take up every matter that is brought to their attention);

the conduct of an MP’s wider public life, unless the MP’s conduct has caused serious damage to the reputation of the House of Commons as a whole or of MPs more generally.

Further information can be found in the advice leaflet from the PCS.

Compliance Officer for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority

The post of Compliance Officer for IPSA was established by the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009, as amended by the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010.

The Compliance Officer’s remit is defined in statute and is to:

conduct an investigation if he has reason to believe that an MP may have been paid an amount under the MPs’ Scheme of Business Costs and Expenses (the Scheme) that should not have been allowed; and

at the request of an MP, review a determination by IPSA to refuse reimbursement for an expense claim, in whole or in part.

As the Compliance Officer’s role is confined to matters pertaining to the Scheme, he has no power to investigate complaints that pre-date the creation of IPSA in May 2010.  Complaints regarding expense claims prior to May 2010 are usually handled by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.

Still need help?

Get in touch with Alex using the form below.

Sign up to Alex's newsletter