Emergency Assistance

Date: 19.12.17

If you live in Leeds and need emergency assistance this page lists the agencies and charities that are best placed to help.

For the police, fire service or medical emergencies, call 999.

For non-emergencies, you can call the police on 101 and get medical advice by calling 111.

Flooding & Sand-bags

It is extremely unlikely that the council will be able to provide sandbags to houses or commercial premises during a flooding incident. The councils stock will only be used as part of the council’s response to a threat of, or actual flood incident for the following:

• when- working with the emergency services
• keeping roads open which is on a priority basis
• when protecting vital services eg hospitals
• or when supporting established community flood groups

If your request falls into one of the categories above please ring 0113 3760499 option 4 to speak to an advisor.


If your home is flooding now and you are in imminent danger please dial 999.

Further advice can be found on Leeds City Council flooding page.

Flooding can also be reported online.

The Environmental Agency’s ‘Flood Line’ can help with further information regarding the Leeds area. Please dial 0345 9 881 188.

Highways and signage

Emergency repairs can be reported if you have an emergency which could cause harm to persons or property and is in relation to a road traffic accident, missing gully or man-hole cover or an obstruction in the road. If you have one of these emergencies please call Leeds City Council on 0113 3760499 (option 2).

Noise problems

If you are disturbed by noise nuisance at night, weekends or bank holidays and if you are not able to resolve the problem informally by talking to the people responsible you can report the noise to Leeds City Council on 0113 3760337. The service operates from 6pm to 3:30am.

Gas, Water and Electrical emergencies


Contact the National Grid on 0800 111 999 if you smell gas.


Contact Yorkshire water on 0845 124 24 24 for a total loss of supply to you and neighbours. They also are responsible for water main bursts, overflowing/blocked drains and shared drains whether council or private.


Contact Northern Power Grid on 0800 375 675 if you have been affected by a power cut.

Adult Social Care & Mental Health Services

If you are concerned about someone’s safety because of suspected abuse or neglect or Mental Health and think it needs reporting you can call the Adult Emergency Duty Team outside office hours on 077121 06378.

If you feel that an adult is immediately at risk please contact the emergency services on 999.


Call 116 123 or Email:

Leeds MIND

Tel: 0113 305 5800 mail:

Children’s Social Work Service

When concerned about the safety of a child or young person (under the age of 18) and feel that they are at immediate risk of harm members of the public should contact the emergency services on 999 and ask for the Police.


Emergency housing repairs (Council house tenants)

Normal working hours are 9am-5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays. Outside of these hours Leeds City Council provide an essential repairs service which is restricted to emergency repairs that require immediate attention. Out of hours repairs include situations where there is an immediate risk to health or safety, or of serious damage occurring to your home. If Leeds City Council engineers find that you have falsely reported the seriousness of a repair in order to have non-emergency work completed out of hours then you may be charged for the cost of the repair.

Housing Leeds: 0800 1884000 or 0113 3760410


Outside of office hours, Leeds City Council have an emergency service which you can access by telephoning 07891 273939. This number is for emergency homelessness only and we will not be able to assist with any other matter.

Dangerous building or structure

If you feel a building is dangerous as a result of poor maintenance, fire or storm damage, vehicle impact or explosion outside of normal office hours, please call 0113 376 0499, and hold at the end of the automated message.

Food Poverty: Leeds North West Foodbanks.

Leeds City Council Housing emergencies, including homelessness & repairs for Christmas period 2017/18.

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence support is available from Leeds Women’s Aid.

Sexual Assault

Contact Support After Rape Leeds.

Alcohol Dependency 

Please contact Drink Aware.

Still need help?

Get in touch with Alex using the form below.

Sign up to Alex's newsletter